Five Great Website Design Tips
|Created On: 01 January, 2012||Created By: superadmin|
Given that a vast majority of today's businesses count on a unique and well organized online presence to boost their sales and spread their branding effectively, it's vital that website design be carried out properly to ensure the future or continued success of that company. Therefore, as a web designer, it's a good idea to keep a few things in mind while you're creating a site for your client or yourself. Here are the five great website design tips:
- Be sure to have attractive graphics. By utilizing graphics that are both attention grabbing and pleasant to the eye, you are ensuring that the visitors to your site will not perceive the site as being amateurish or poorly executed. Due to the fact that nearly everyone has a website nowadays, yours must stand out above the rest, and the best way to do this is through well conceived and well implemented graphics.
- Don't use animated GIF's, scrolling text or background music that automatically loads. There are few things more irritating or off putting then clicking on a website and being startled by background music, or to have your screen flooded with scrolling text or animated GIF's. These features prevent visitors from being able to fully view your site without interruption or distraction. This means that your message and information will not be relayed as it should be, and will fall short of successfully turning site traffic into clients or customers. If it's a personal site, it will do little to improve your traffic stats, as people will be less likely to stay on your site or click on any of your other pages because they are either irritated by these rather annoying features, or feel bombarded by their mere presence.
- Be mindful of the width of the website. In web design, it is very important that you be aware of how wide or narrow your site is. If it's too wide, then a scroll bar will come in to play or part of the site will be cut off. If the site is too narrow, it simply won't look right or professionally done. That's why it's a great idea to look at your site on a number of different browsers, and even to view it on a couple of computer screens, just to be sure that certain elements of your site aren't affected by the width.
- Develop a well thought out navigation work flow. By making your navigation flow, you are ensuring that it is more intuitive for the visitor, and that it will be easier for them to access various pages or features on the site. Include links wherever possible and double check that all of the menu links are working properly.
- If possible, avoid Flash. Adobe has indicated that it will not be pursuing Flash in the future, but adhering to HTML5 standards. Therefore, search engines will not gather content information inside of Flash and Apple mobile devices, such as i Phone and i Pad do not support Flash, and people will not be able to view Flash on their i Pad or iPod devices. Thus, a large portion of your target audience will be eliminated by simply including the Flash element.
By following these 5 great website design tips, you are well on your way to creating a well organized, highly effective site, that is sure to achieve increased web traffic and click-throughs.